Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

最終更新日: 14.04.2015 // Frequently asked questions about visa and residence permit to Norway.


What is the difference between a Visa and a Residence Permit?
A Visa is a permit that allows you to stay in Norway or Schengen (depending on the type of Visa) for a short specified period of time with a maximum validity of 90 days. A Residence Permit is required from anyone who intends to stay in Norway for more than 90 days and is usually only granted to applicants with a valid reason for long term stay, ie. studies, work or family. 

Do I have to visit the Embassy in person to deliver my documents?
Yes. All applicants for both Visa and Residence Permit that are not already known to the Embassy must visit the Embassy in person to deliver their documents.

Do I need to book an appointment to deliver my supporting documents?
Yes. When all documents are assembled, contact the Embassy on phone or mail and indicate what days and times that suit your schedule. 

Can you check if my documents are ok before my appointment at the Embassy? Are these documents sufficient to have my application granted?
No. Please prepare documents according to the document checklist. When you submit the documents at the Embassy a case handler will review the documents and let you know of any missing documents. Any missing documents can then be forwarded to the Embassy by post.

I already paid the application fee online. How much do I have to pay when I meet at the Embassy?
Nothing. You only pay the application fee once – either online, or in cash at the Embassy if you cannot register your application online.

Are there any requirements to the validity of my passport when I enter Norway?
Your passport must be valid for at least 90 days after your planned departure from the Schengen area. If you have been granted a residence permit there is no requirement other than that you passport must be valid upon the date of entry. Note that there might be other requirements from any other country where you have a transit. You must check with the Embassy of this country.

My residence permit has expired. After returning to my home country, how long do I have to wait before I can re-enter Norway.

The period of stay where you had a valid residence permit is not counted into the days you  can stay on a Schengen visa or visa exemption agreement. A single stay can also never exceed a maximum of 90 days. Before your residence permit expires you therefore have to leave the Schengen area. Starting from the next day, you can again re-enter on a Schengen visa or a visa exemption agreement.

What is a cover letter?
A cover letter is a one page document that you print out after finishing your pre-registration online. Your signature is required to confirm the contents of your online registration. The cover letter is only available from the Application Portal after registration and payment are completed.

The Power of Attorney may also be printed as a second page to the cover letter, but it is not neccessary to submit the form unless you wish to appoint an attorney or proxy.

Regarding travel to Svalbard
Svalbard is not a part of the Schengen co-operation, and Norwegian authorities do not perform passport/visa control when you enter Svalbard.

However, nationalities that require a visa to enter Schengen will need a Schengen visa upon transferring through Norway or other Schengen countries. A visa will be needed both for your travel to and from Svalbard, so you must apply for a visa with two or multiple entries.

For detailed information about travel to Svalbard, please refer to the Governor of Svalbard’s homepage.

You can also contact the Governor of Svalbard by e-mail:


Do I need a Visa?
The need for a Visa is based on your nationality. Japan, along with some other countries, have signed a Visa waiver agreement, allowing citizens from these countries to stay in the Schengen-area for up to 90 days without a Visa. You can find out whether you need a visa or not based on nationality on UDI's homepage:

Citizens of Schengen countries, including people who already have a residence permit in a Schengen country, is also exempt from the Visa requirement.

Do I need a visa or residence permit to visit Norway for collecting video/photo/interview material to be used in Japan?
Journalists, photographers, camera operators, technicians or any other artistic or administrative personnel that are on assignment for a foreign media institution are exempt from the requirement for a residence permit up to 90 days.

Visitors collecting such data for a tv station, newspaper or radio station that is established in Japan does not need to apply for a residence permit. Visitors who are collecting material for an independent movie,  freelance documentary, advertisement or any other form of commercial activity has to apply for a residence permit for work.

Travelers who require a visa to visit Norway, must apply for a Schengen visa, even if exempt from the requirement for residence permit. Japanese citizens, as an example, is covered by the visa-exemption agreement and does not need a visa. Pay attention to the difference between visa and residence permit explained above.

How long can I stay with a Schengen Visa/Visa Exemption Agreement?
Schengen Visa is usually only issued with a validity equal to that of your planned stay, but the maximum length of a stay based on Shengen Visa or a Visa Exemption Agreement is 90 days in any 180-day period. At any given time your stay in the Schengen area cannot exceed 90 days within the last 180 days.

Detailed explanation with examples and a short stay calculator can be found on the European Commission's homepage:

What documents to I need to submit with my application for Schengen visa?
Please download and refer to the documents checklist.

When will my Visa be issued?
Schengen Visa will usually be issued at the Embassy, and average handling time is two weeks. Depending on your case and the documentation you provide, it may however take longer, so please make sure to deliver your application in good time.

Do I need to submit my passport? / Can I keep my passport during processing time?
You must submit your original passport along with copies of all used pages. The Embassy usually keeps the passport during processing time. If the applicant has an absolute need to keep his/her passport, he/she may be allowed to do so with a valid reason. This may prolong processing time.

Can I have my passport returned by post?
Applicants living far away from the Embassy may have their passport returned by post. Applicants with registered address in Tokyo are asked to collect their passport at the Embassy. Passports can only be picked up by the applicant in person or by person granted Power of Attorney.

How can I get a multiple entry Visa?
To have a multi entry Visa you must be able to document regular travel to Norway within the last year, and clarify the need for future travel to Norway. A multi entry Visa will generally not be issued for travels with the purpose of tourism and meeting friends. Some categories that may be granted a multi entry Visa if they fulfil the requirements are:

  • business travellers
  • close family members of persons with legal residence in Norway
  • close family members of Norwegian nationals living abroad
  • family members of EEA nationals and EFTA nationals who with legal residence in Norway
  • persons who take part in academic, cultural or sports-related official programmes/events

Residence Permit

Do I need a Residence Permit?
If you are staying in the Schengen area for more than 90 days you do need a Residence Permit.

What documents do I need to submit with my application for residence permit?
Please download and refer to the document checklist that applies to your situation.

Do I need to submit my passport? / Can I keep my passport during processing time?  
You must submit your original passport along with copies of all used pages. The original passport is, however, returned to the applicant after neccessary checks and confirmation have been made. The applicant can usually bring his/her passport back when leaving the Embassy after submitting the supporting documents.

When and where will my Residence Permit be issued?
Application for Residence Permit is handled by the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI). Average processing times can be found here: When your application for residence permit is handled, UDI will notify the Embassy. In the case of a positive decision the Embassy will then notify you that you can visit a local police station in Norway after entry to the country in order to have your permit issued. Residence permits are never issued at the Embassy.

Can I apply for Residence Permit after entering Norway?
As a general rule a Residence Permit to Norway must be granted before entering the country. There are however exceptions for certain groups of people, and it is a prerequisite that you are staying in Norway legally when delivering your application. The most common groups of applicants that may apply for Residence Permit after entering the country are those who qualify as a skilled worker, and those who are the spouse/child of a Norwegian national. See chapter 10 of the Immigrant Regulation for details

Can I enter Norway before a decision has been made in my case?
Groups of applicants that are allowed to enter the country before a decision has been made are the same as the groups of applicants that may apply from Norway. See previous question.

Can I apply for a residence permit from other countries?
If you are applying for a residence permit for working holiday, you can apply from any Norwegian Embassy – also in other countries than your home country.

Applications for other types of residence permits can be made from other countries than your home country if you have stayed in that country for at least six months. Please contact the local Norwegian Embassy directly.

If my application for a residence permit will be granted. When should I go to Norway?
Normally you must enter Norway within 6 months after the date of the positive decision. In some cases, i.e. when your studies or work project has a specific start date, you must enter Norway within a specified amount of time before your studies or project starts. You will be informed about possible entry dates after your application is approved.

My residence permit has been granted. What documents do I need to prepare for entry to Norway and procedures at the police station?
If you do not need an entry visa, you only need to bring your passport for entry to Norway. Passport control is however conducted in the first Schengen country you arrive to, and if you transfer through any other countries, you must inquire to this country’s embassy for entry procedures.

When visiting the police station, the police will in most cases find your necessary information as long as you bring you passport. For more specific question regarding procedures at the police station you must ask the police station directly

What do I do if my accommodation in Norway is not yet confirmed?
When pre-registering online from Application Portal, please fill in "student housing", "to be arranged by employer", "yet to be decided" etc. according to your situation.

Please also produce and submit some kind of documentation showing your plans for arranging accommodation. This can be a confirmation from school/employer that housing will be arranged, receipt of application for student housing, or at least a signed statement by the applicant explaining the situation.

How do I qualify as a skilled worker?
The most common groups of people to qualify as a skilled worker are university graduates or people with sufficient education within a specific trade or craft. People with extensive experience within a certain field can also qualify as a skilled worker. If in doubt, contact the Embassy with your level of completed education and work experience.

Application fee

Type of application Paid by Application Portal Paid in cash when submitting application
Schengen visa EUR 60 (children 6-12 - EUR 30) JPY 8,300 (children 6-12 - JPY 4,200)
Work Permit NOK 3,700 JPY 48,100
Working Holiday permit NOK 3,700 JPY 48,100
Study Permit NOK 3,200 JPY 41,600
Family Imm. Permit NOK 8,000 JPY 104,000

Bookmark and Share