When applying for a Residence Permit to Study in Norway, the following documentation must be submitted to the Embassy in Tokyo.
All documentation must be provided in English or Norwegian. Documents in other languages MUST be provided with translations.
- Signed copy of cover letter which can be printed out after completing an online application. Or one properly filled out paper application.
- 1 photo (3,5 cm x 4,5 cm)
- Original passport AND copy of valid passport and previous passports. Clear photocopies of all used pages should be made.Both colour and black and white copies are accepted as long as they are clear and sharp.
- Original Letter of Admission from the educational institution containing your name, the study programme you have been admitted to and the duration of your studies.
- Documentation that you have obtained accommodation for the permit's period of validity - Contract for rent or purchase of accommodation, or written statement from Norwegian reference about acquiring accommodation. If your accomodation is yet to be decided, please refer to FAQ.
- Documentation that you have adequate funds to support yourself - You must have funds corresponding to the amount of full support from the Norwegian State Education Loan Fund. Student loans, grants, own funds or income from employment can be included in these funds. If you are to pay tuition fees, this sum will come in addition to those fees
- Application fee
Please note that additional documentation may be required.
How to document your own funds
If the applicant will finance his/her stay in Norway with own saved funds at his/her disposal, the general rule is that the applicant must transfer the amount to an account in a Norwegian bank in his/her own name.
Alternatively, an applicant who does not have a bank account in Norway can deposit the amount in an account that the educational institution has opened for this purpose (deposit account). Contact your affiliated school for more information about such a transfer and documentation of the transfer.
Please note that bank statements from banks in Japan or other foreign countries are not accepted as documentation of your funds.
Researcher with own funds
Researchers who will not receive salary from a Norwegian institution, but rather will finance the stay by own means, grants or salary from a foreign institution should apply for Residence Permit for Studies.
In addition to documentation according to a regular Residence Permit for Studies, an invitation from the Norwegian research institution with a detailed description of your stay and research tasks should be enclosed.
Researchers, as opposed to other regular students, does not have to transfer funds to Norwegian account. Foreign bank statements are accepted as documentation of your own funds.
For more detailed information about applications for researchers with own funds, click here.
- An application will not be completed until all necessary supporting documents are delivered.
- The application fee is non refundable once an application has been lodged.
For more information about applications residence permits for studies, please see: http://www.udi.no/Norwegian-Directorate-of-Immigration/Central-topics/Studies/
For more information about application procedures, pleaseclick here.
To go straight to the Application Portal, please click here.
Further inquiries and questions to the Embassy concerning visa and residence permits can be sent by e-mail to email@example.com.