There are several types of residence permits for work, but the two most common types are residence permits for skilled workers and specialists. Both require, among other things, a specific offer of employment from an employer in Norway.
To read more about these types of residence permits, as well as other types, please click here.
General list of required documents
All documentation must be provided in English or Norwegian. Documents in other languages MUST be provided with translations.
- Signed copy of cover letter which can be printed out after completing an online application. Or one properly filled out paper application.
- Original passport AND copy of valid passport and previous passports including any previous visas and residence permits.
- 1 photo (3,5 cm x 4,5 cm)
- Documentation of employment in Norway:
For applicants receiving salary from Norwegian employer: Offer of Employment
For applicants receiving salary from foreign employer outside of Norway: Assignment Offer Form, and contract from foreign employer.
- CV, school records, employment references etc.
- Documentation that you have obtained accommodation for the permit's period of validity - Contract for rent or purchase of acommodation, or a written statement from reference in Norway about aquiring accomodation.
- Application fee
Please note that additional documentation may be required.
- An application will not be completed until all necessary supporting documents are delivered.
- The application fee is non refundable once an application has been lodged.
- Salary must not be lower than the average salary for the same type of work in Norway.
- PHD-candidates and researchers who will not receive salary from a Norwegian institution, but rather finance the stay by own means, grants or salary from a foreign institution should NOT apply for a Residence Permit for Work. Such applicants should apply for a Residence Permit for Studies.
- Aplicants that will be receiving salary from foreign employer outside of Norway CANNOT apply online through the Application Portal. Please prepare the this application form.
For more information about applications for residence permits, please see: http://www.udi.no/Norwegian-Directorate-of-Immigration/Central-topics/Work-and-residence/
For more information about application procedures, please click here.
To go straight to the Application Portal, please click here.
Further inquiries and questions to the Embassy concerning visa and residence permits can be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.